Nothing beats the convenience of an Instant Pot® for quick, easy, and healthier chicken wings. Once cooked, a quick trip under the broiler is all you need to get that nice crispy finish.
You can save time by purchasing already-trimmed wings. However, you can save some money by trimming them yourself. See photo for approximate location of where to cut each whole wing. They are a little easier to trim AFTER they’ve been cooked. Immediately freeze the tips to make chicken stock later.
Note: This recipe is written for fresh or thawed wings. If using frozen wings, add 3-4 minutes to the active cook time.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Active cook time: 14-16 minutes (+ time to come to pressure)
Natural release: 10 minutes
4-4½ lbs. chicken wings
1 t. garlic powder, divided
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1 c. water
Sliced celery, for serving
Buffalo Wing Sauce Ingredients:
1 c. Frank’s original hot sauce
½ c. unsalted butter, melted
½ t. garlic powder
- Sprinkle wings with the garlic powder and season with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place metal trivet inside Instant Pot® and add one cup of water. Arrange seasoned wings on top of the trivet before securing the cover in place. Switch the vent to “Sealing” and adjust the “Manual” setting to 8 minutes.
- While the wings cook, whisk the Frank’s hot sauce, melted butter, and remaining garlic powder in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- When done cooking, allow pressure to naturally release for 10 minutes, then do a quick release for any remaining steam. Carefully remove lid and transfer
wings to a large bowl. Set aside until just cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, position top oven rack in the top position and pre-heat broiler to high. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire cooling rack on top. Set aside.
- Pour 1/3 of the buffalo sauce on top of the wings and toss to coat. Transfer the wings to the wire rack on the prepared baking sheet and place under the broiler for 3-4 minutes or until the wings start to get crispy and develop some color. Turn the wings and repeat this process.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and toss the wings with half of the remaining buffalo sauce. Serve immediately with sliced celery and the remaining sauce on the side for dipping. Enjoy!