This hearty meatless dish borrows elements from traditional Cuban black bean recipes, such as the oregano, dried cumin, and bay leaves. However, it isn’t intended as a classic “authentic” interpretation.
Although not featured here, a tablespoon of tomato paste added prior to cooking would be a nice addition to the flavor profile of this recipe, especially if served as leftovers the next day.
Tip: Reserve the red portion of the pepper top for garnish
This recipe was tested at 30 minutes active cook time. Although the recipe works at that time, the beans were a little firm. Add an additional two minutes to the active cook time for less firm results.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 32 minutes (+ time to come to pressure)
Natural release: 20 minutes natural release
1 c. dried black beans, rinsed and picked over
1 medium red pepper, seeded and cut into large pieces
½ medium white onion, cut into large pieces
½ T. dried oregano
½ T. dried cumin
1 t. garlic powder
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
2 whole bay leaves
1½ c. chicken or vegetable broth
1 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. red pepper, diced
3 T. avocado, diced
2 T. fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
1 whole lime, cut into wedges (optional)
3 c. cooked white or yellow rice
- Add the beans, red pepper, onion, oregano, dried cumin, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and bay leaves to Instant Pot®.
- Pour broth on top and add the lid. Set the pressure valve to “sealing” and select the “Manual” cooking option on the “High” setting. Set cook time to 32 minutes.
- When done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 20 minutes, and then do a quick release of any remaining pressure.
- Turn the unit off and carefully remove lid. Transfer red pepper, onion, and ½ cup broth to a blender or food processor. Cover and blend until smooth.
- Pour pureed vegetable mixture back into the Instant Pot® and add red wine vinegar. Season with additional salt and black pepper, as desired, and stir to combine. Serve immediately over a bed of cooked rice, topped with chopped red pepper, avocado, and cilantro. Offer lime wedges, if desired. Enjoy!