Money-Saving Tip: Use a combination of broth and water instead of the 6 cups of broth listed below.
Adding a section of Parmesan rind to homemade soup is a great way to instill additional flavor to your recipes.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
3 4-oz. chorizo sausage links
1 T. extra virgin olive oil.
1 large carrot, chopped small
1 large stalk celery, chopped small
1 medium yellow onion, chopped small
Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
6 c. chicken stock
2 c. red lentils, well rinsed
1 15-oz. can diced tomatoes, with liquid
1 t. dried oregano
1 t. garlic powder
1 t. dried thyme
2 whole bay leaves
2” Parmesan cheese rind (optional)
¼ c. fresh basil, chopped
3 T. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Brown Chorizo sausage links in a large, high-sided skillet over medium heat, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Once browned, remove sausage from skillet and cut into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- Add olive oil to skillet and add the chopped carrot, celery, and onion. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften and develop some color, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Return sausage to skillet, along with chicken stock, red lentils, diced tomatoes, oregano, garlic powder, thyme, bay leaves, and Parmesan rind, if using.
- Stir to combine and increase heat to medium-high. Bring to a boil, then immediately reduce heat to medium-low. Cover with a tilted lid and simmer for 20-25 minutes, or until just until the lentils are tender.
- Remove from heat and discard the bay leaves and remaining Parmesan rind. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Stir in fresh basil and serve immediately, topped with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if desired. Enjoy!